Sunday, January 15, 2012

Introduction: about me and my studies


My Home Town  



I guess I'll start by introducing myself..


 My name is Hannah O'Reilly, I am 19 years old, and I am in my second year at the University of Alberta.  I was born and raised in Peace River Alberta, which to be perfectly honest, has nothing to do with the fact that I am studying Pre-Vet medicine. I did not grow up on a farm, nor do I have any desire to live or work on one. Though I have a passionate dedication to animals, and my background is in a rural community, I'm a city girl at heart.  


I have wanted to be a Veterinarian since I was six years old, though only recently I decided that my dream job is to work in Zoos around the world. This dream combines my love of animal care, and my passion for travelling. This path requires approximately 10 years of schooling, A lot of money, and even more willpower, but it's one day at a time. 


Communication plays a huge role in the field I am trying to break into. I must be able to communicate with other Veterinarians/Researchers, and clients, as well as being able to analyze and communicate the results of patient exams. When it comes to medicine, whether human or animal, there is always more to learn. Communication technologies provide a way to access the knowledge of others in my field, and to share experiences with each other that may be beneficial to future patient cases. It is also plays a huge role in building a support system, which is incredibly important in a field so demanding and stressful. 


(still thinking of a catchy sign-off phrase)
until next time, Hannah. 



citation for image:


 Scott Simpson. 2009. Peace River region rejects another hydro dam. retrieved: January 15, 2012, from: http://www.sqwalk.com/bc2009/001763.html

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I find it amazing how much devotion you have to working with animals in zoos! And all around the world? Wow. A lot of the people I know in Animal Sciences all have a common goal of becoming veterinarians, but you've chosen a career path truly unique. I wish you all the luck in the years ahead of you in the hopes that you will achieve your dream.

    -Danielle Lu

    ReplyDelete